The Grand Hall of the Conservatoire was built between 1938-1941 during the reconstruction of the Conservatoire building (architect Sh.Tavadze). The festive inauguration of the Hall took place on 28 January, 1942 and since then it has been one of the significant centers of concert life of Tbilisi. Outstanding Georgian and foreign musicians have appeared on its stage. Among them are: V.Ferero, R.Kerer, , H.Neuhaus, S.Richter,. E.Gilels, L.Kogan, D.Oistrakh, M.Rostropovich, Y.Bashmet, V. Spivakov, G.Kremer, E.Obraztsova, N.Gutman, L.Leonskaya, A.Virsaladze, D.Andghuladze, N.Andghuladze, T.Amiredjibi, E. Virsaladze, L.Isakadze, T.Gabarashvili, M.Kasrashvili, A.Korsantia, D.Alexeev, D.Bashkirov, Sh.King, L.Markiz, P.Burchuladze, E.Chkonia, E.Mgaloblishvili, V.Gamgebeli, I.Alibegashvili, V.Ataneli, M.Doijashvili and many more; as well as the internationally acknowledged musicians of younger generation.
After the early 60s, improving political conditions allowed for the resumption of tour visits by international musicians. In 1963 a three-manual, fourty-register Alexander Schuke-Potsdam organ was installed in the Grand Hall. The list of the prominent organists, performed on it includes such names as: E. Mgaloblishvili, A.Braudo, L.Roisman, V.Schetelich, J.Guiois, R.Engso, J.Dalton, N.Rostorn, K.Vadi and others.
In the 80s during the political and economical crisis in Georgia, the Hall was closed for ten years. In the second half of the 90s, under the initiative of Prof. Manana Doidjashvili, the present Rector of the Tbilisi State Conservatoire, the Hall was refurbished to a very high standard again. Since 1997 the Hall has acquired the reputation of one of the major cultural centre of the capital. It seats around 500 people and has superb acoustic qualities providing the facilities for chamber music and symphony concerts.
Its revolving stage and pit orchestra allow for opera performances. The hall prides itself on two Steinway concert grand pianos. It also has digital audio-recording studio facilities which meet all modern international standards. Since the day of foundation the concert life of Grand Hall is closely connected with educational process of the Tbilisi State Conservatoire and Philharmonic concerts.
The annual New Year Festival, traditionally held in the Grand Hall, showcases many outstanding contemporary Georgian and foreign musicians, featuring concerts of classical, folk and jazz music. The Conservatoire Grand Hall hosts as well such festivals as : “Chamber Ensembles Festival”, the Festival “From Easter to Ascension” , the Tbilisi International Wind Festival with participation of prominent contemporary musicians.
Art exhibitions, presentations of books, and international symposia on traditional polyphony are also held here. The Tbilisi International Piano Competition, the Georgian Competition of Musician-Performers as well as the Frederick Chopin Competition of Young Pianists are traditionally held on this venue.
Tel: (+995 32) 298 71 82
8-10 Griboedov st. Tbilisi 0108 Georgia