A festive inauguration of the Recital Hall took place on November 4, 1904. The Hall was built with the support of patrons K.Alikhanov and the brothers Jacob and Stepane Zubalashvili The architect of the Hall was A. Shimkevich, with design by the famous painter Novik, who decorated the inner walls and the ceiling of the Hall with modern style carvings. Busts of the great composers Bach, Beethoven, Glinka and Mozart are placed along the walls of the Hall. The facade is designed in the Renaissance style. Electronic equipment for the Hall has been provided by the Schukert firm.
Since the day of its foundation, the Recital Hall has become one of the major centers of concert life in Tbilisi. World-famous musicians have performed on its stage, including Egon Petri, Konstantin Igumnov, Heinrich Neihaus, Sviatoslav Richter and many others. The first debut of such Georgian musicians as Elisso Virsaladze, Manana Doidjashvili, Temur Gugushvili, Paata Burchuladze, Lado Ataneli, Eter Chkonia, Makvala Kasrashvili, Zurab Sotkilava, Zurab Andjaparidze and many more took place within its walls.
After a century of wear and earthquake damage, the hall was repaired and restored with the support of the Cartu Group. A festive opening of the renovated Recital Hall took place on September 27, 2005.
The Hall houses 200 seats. It has excellent acoustics. Both recitals and chamber music concerts are usually held here. The Hall has a digital recording studio, and three concert grand pianos: two Steinways and one Yamaha.
The Conservatoire state exams, class concerts, solo concerts and competitions are traditionally held in the Recital Hall.
Tel: (+995 32) 298 71 82
8-10 Griboedov st. Tbilisi 0108 Georgia